Soulless by Gail Carriger

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Left on the shelf at 27, Alexia Tarabotti is not your average Victorian miss (I hope I have the era right!). Thank to her Italian father, she has olive skin (read tanned), an overly noticeable nose, a forthright almost abrupt manner and no soul. The Victorian society she lives in just happens to include vampire hives and werewolf packs as well as the usual silly misses and overanxious Mamas, trying to marry them off!

I was instantly captivated by the blurb for this book and was not disappointed! Vampires attacking without permission! Roves (solitary vampires) and Loners (werewolves without a pack) are disappearing. Strange wax faced individuals trying to kidnap Alexia using chloroform… Feisty Alexia Tarabotti with her trusty parasol and her very varied friends, including an irascible werewolf lord who just happens to be in charge of the  supernatural constabulary, a foppish but very well informed vampire and a young lady who has appalling taste in hats, take on these mysteries with flair and a wonderful sense of humour, with just enough energy left over for a courtship of most unusual and amusing dimensions! Even Queen Victoria gets in on the act!

I love this book! Alexia is highly entertaining and very identifiable for anyone who doesn’t quite fit in, or is a little bit left of centre. She has a will of her own and a habit of saying what she thinks, which is quite refreshing! I fell for Lord Maccon with his obvious rough around the edges, but soft heart and excellent musculature! What is not to love?

Gail Carriger’s website can be found at:

http://www.gailcarriger.com/