Fallen by Lauren Kate

Fallen

Fallen

I think I have mentioned in an earlier post about reading in several blogs that ‘Fallen Angels’ would be the new vampires. Fallen was even advertised in the cinemas when I went to see The Twilight Saga : New Moon. Couldn’t wait and managed to snag a copy the day it hit the shelves!

Luce knows that she is not quite right. She sees shadows that no one else sees. These same shadows don’t just haunt her, they actively try to harm her. She has few friends. Her family are petrified of her and strange things tend to happen wherever she goes.

After a boy is burnt to death, the court and her family send her to Sword & Cross School, a last chance boarding school for misfits, miscreants and weirdos. Even here Luce finds trouble. One look is all she needs. She sees Daniel for the first time and feels an instant connection. He gives her the bird. The relationship goes down hill from there. Luce does manage to make friends. Arriane, a is certifiably insane and tends to run hot and cold. Penn (Pennyweather Van Syckle-Lockwood) who can find her way into anyone’s files is honestly friendly and then there is Cam. Cam is a repeat offender who has returned to the school who takes an intense interest in Luce and actively courts her from the first, unlike Daniel. Daniel is just as intensely drawn to her, but fights the attraction with only the occasional moment of kindness…

What does all this have to do with Fallen Angels? Everything is not as it seems. Half the pupils in the school are fallen angels, including Cam and Daniel, who are locked in an ongoing battle for supremacy. Somehow, Luce is at the centre of the battle and has been, repeatedly for centuries. Usually Luce and Daniel manage a single kiss before she dies and he, being immortal must go on without her. This time, something is different. She sees the shadows. She is different. Can their love survive? Where does Cam fit into her ongoing story?

As far as fallen angels go, this book is very enjoyable. I loved Luce’s character. Even though she can be a bit pathetic and often does incredibly stupid things, she is basically empathetic. Daniel is harder to like, especially since he spends most of his time brooding or giving Luce the brush off, having stopped to talk to her in the first place. I’ll be interested to see how the series unfolds…