‘Kindred in Death’ and ‘Fantasy in Death’ by J.D.Robb (Nora Roberts)

Kindred in Death

Kindred in Death

Fantasy in Death

Fantasy in Death

Just a quick post. I know I haven’t posted much lately, and the pile of books waiting to be posted is growing fast… but what can i say? Life is pretty busy at the moment. Back at work, trying to get fit and healthy – so lots of exercise…

I am a Nora Roberts / J.D. Robb fan. I have read all of her ‘Eve Dallas’ books and quite a few of her romantic offerings as well! Some people would argue that this is not great literature – and it’s not, but then how many of the books we read actually are?

What these books are, however is thoroughly enjoyable! Set in a future where life expectancy has been extended and guns are banned (but not stunners) prostitution is licensed and computers run pretty much everything for us, murder is still a major problem. Eve Dallas is a lieutenant working for NYPD Homicide. She is the best of the best, but not without a few personal failings and hang ups along the way. Every murder she investigates is personal for her – she stands for the dead.

She is also ably supported by a cast of characters, including the delectable Rourke – an Irish ex-crim who is now a multi billionaire and runs half the planet (according to Eve). Peabody is her sidekick, Feeney, her old partner now turned computer geek, Mavis is her oldest friend (con artist turned rock star) and the list of friends expands as the series continues.

Eve has mellowed a lot over the course of the 30 books in the series so far, but she still manages to be abrasive, often rude, uncomfortable with the demands of friendship and yet, a good friend, wife and detective.

I’m beginning to notice a bit of a trend in my posts. Most of my comments tend to be character driven, rather than situation or setting etc. For me, the essence of reading is being able to get inside the character’s skin, to walk a few miles in their shoes. So long as a character is empathetic (for me) and I can relate to at least some aspect of their personality, I’m hooked!

Eve Dallas and her fiends have me hooked, although I must admit, I found her earlier adventures more enjoyable!