Apologies

It’s been a long time between visits… and it’s not as if I haven’t been reading!!!

So this post is going to be quite long. I’m not going to go into as much detail as usual, but I am going to use this as an opportunity to share my readings (briefly)!

The Battle of the Sun

The Battle of the Sun

The Battle of the Sun by Jeanette Winterson.

Took a little bit of reading to get into – a very different style of writing. Not a lot of description and tends to be abrupt (in my opinion), but once I got the hang of it, thoroughly enjoyable.

Very different characters, with one character, Silver, crossing over from a previous book. I liked Jack’s never give up attitude, and of course… the dragon!

Twilight the graphic novel - volume 1

Twilight the graphic novel - volume 1

Twilight the graphic novel, volume 1 by Stephanie Meyer, Art and Adaptation by Young Kim.

Loved this – especially since the characters are closer to my imaginings than the actors!

Of course it is shorter than the original novel (being volume 1)and leaves out some things, however the emotion and underlying themes of the novel are beautifully captured.

Looking forward to volume 2!

Worm in the blood

Worm in the blood

Worm in the Blood by Thomas Bloor

An unusual book. I was sucked in from the beginning, but took a while to be able to predict the course of events. I was mystified and intrigued.

Sam is fantastic! His curse is an unusual take on dragons – love it!

ghostgirl

ghostgirl

Ghostgirl by Tonya Hurley

I found this book very hard to get into – the main character, Charlotte Usher, is not likable nor sympathetic. Not a character I could relate to, or wanted to relate to. I had many other books screaming for my attention that I would rather have been reading…

I was a bit naughty and kept putting Ghostgirl down to read other books, but eventually I found something in there to relate to! I’m not saying it’s not a good book – it is, but not my cup of tea!

Wolven

Wolven

Wolven by Di Toft

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Wolves have always been a favourite of mine, along with dragons (and more recently vampires and fallen angels). Wolven are different again!

A cross between family dog and werewolf, Nat Carver’s new dog, Woody, turns out to be more than anyone bargained for.

The characters are well drawn and enjoyable and the villain is deliciously revolting – very easy to dislike intensely!

I recommend this for boys!

When you reach me

When you reach me

When you reach me by Rebecca Stead

Newbery Medal winner for 2010, this book is delightful, bringing back memories of my own adventures with Madeleine L’Engle and a wrinkle in time (as well as all her other books).

Time travel is alive and well and just as confusing and abstract as it ever was.

Miranda is the main character and totally likable. Her struggles with friendships and understanding the world around her, her mother’s obsession with a TV game show and the crazy homeless guy who lives uner the postbox on the corner are believable and entertaining. I loved this book!

Tantalize

Tantalize

Tantalize – predator or prey? by Cynthia Leitich Smith

I got this book to read after thoroughly enjoying Eternal by the same author.

This book involves werewolves, vampires, cooking and evil.

I didn’t get the same kick out of this book as Eternal, but still an enjoyable read.

Need

Need

Need by Carrie Jones

Pixies are alive and well in Maine. Zara White is shipped off to live with her Grandmother in Maine, when she doesn’t cope with her fathers death. Things do not go smoothly. Boys are disappearing, blizzards keep blowing up out of nowhere and her new best friends are werewolves…

My kind of book!

Peeps

Peeps

Peeps by Scott Westerfeld

Scott Westerfeld is fast becoming a favourite of mine. I loved this book – couldn’t put it down!

A very unusual take on vampires, with great characters and plenty of action!

The story follows Cal, who has been infected by the parasite, but is only a carrier… this means he has infected all his girlfriends, who he now must track down and neutralise.  Full of informative and totally gross facts about parasites, the book is highly enjoyable!

Blue Bloods

Blue Bloods

Masquerade

Masquerade

Blue Bloods and Masquerade by Melissa de la Cruz

Gossip girl just went vamp!

Schuyler Van Allen attends an exclusive Manhattan school. She never quite fit in, but wasn’t too fazed, until one of her schoolmates dies and the most popular boy in school starts to show a sudden interest in her.

Of course there is much more to the story – the vampires are actually angels fallen from heaven…. two of my new favourite themes in one!

Grave Sight

Grave Sight

Grave Sight by Charlaine Harris

Harper Connolly can see dead people.  She was struck by lightening when she was young and ever since has been able to locate dead bodies by following their ghosts.

Not as enjoyable as the Sookie Stackhouse books, but still not a bad read.

A Kiss of Shadows

A Kiss of Shadows

A Kiss of Shadows by Laurell K. Hamilton

Faeries are real and living amongst us. Meredith Gentry (Merry for short) is not what she seems. Working for a detective agency in LA, she deals with the abnormal – until she is outed for what she really is… a faerie princess.

Now her identity is revealed, she has to go home and deal with her Aunt – the Queen of the Dark Sithe, with a thirst for pain and an appetite for the erotic…

Moon Called

Moon Called

Blood Bound

Blood Bound

Iron Kissed

Iron Kissed

Bone Crossed

Bone Crossed

Moon Called, Blood Bound, Iron Kissed and Bone Crossed by Patricia Briggs

I enjoyed these books so much, I read the whole set!!!

Werewolves, vampires and the Fey – what more could you ask for? Mercedes Thompson (Mercy) is actually a shifter – changing at will into a coyote. Called a Walker, her special talent protects her form some magic and her gumption, loyalty and caring nature make her a very likable character. Being pursued by two gorgeous werewolves is just an added bonus!

Changeless

Changeless

Changeless by Gail Carriger

A novel of vampires, werewolves and dirigibles!

The sequel to Souless follows the adventures of Alexia Maccon, the Lady of Woolsey and her husband as they investigate and upend exorcised ghosts, vampire politics and werewolf pack dynamics.

I loved this book as much as the first in the series, and given the shock ending – can’t wait for the next installment!!

My pile is now down to just 3 book – and I’m starving! I’ll try to make sure I don’t leave things as long this time!!!

One thought on “Apologies

1. Despite the bulk of information online we often fail to get the specific information which is needed this post is good & contains relevant information that I was in quest of .I appreciate your efforts in preparing this post.