Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver

I bought this book online ages age, as it wasn’t available here in Australia and I had read so many great reviews. Despite the fact that I couldn’t wait to read it, I mad myself wait and the book was well and truly worth the wait!

Samantha Kingston finds herself in an unusual situation. One of the ‘popular’ girls in high school, she and her friends spend their time talking boys, clothes and not being overly serious about anything much except where they stand in the social pecking order, who is who’s boyfriend and getting their own way about practically everything. Then she dies. Only the next morning when she wakes up – it’s the same day all over again! Groundhog day for teenagers.

The book confronts many issues facing teenagers today, including bullying, sex, drugs, alcohol, parties and the social structure of coolness! Slowly, day by day, death by death, Samantha faces up to the reality of her life and the consequences of her and her friends’ actions, the impact they have on others and themselves. At the end of each day she dies, only to awaken the next morning to the same day again. Each day she tackle a different aspect of her life.

Very deep stuff and very well handled! The characters are very empathetic and as the story unfolds, you see them as real people with complex reasons and flaws behind everything that happens. Highly recommend this book for young adults!