Just a few adult books thrown in for good measure!

I am finding more and more that I don’t enjoy adult books as much… I’ve gotten out of the habit of reading very complex or demanding books. I do read some occasionally, but as my main love is fantasy – some of them aren’t quite so complex or demanding!

For the purposes of this blog – which is largely dedicated to Children’s Literature – I’ll just make a few quick statements about the adult books I have been reading…

A Girl’s Guide to Vampires by Katie McAllister

I found this book q bit irritating at first, trying too hard to be clever, but eventually got into the spirit of things and by about half way – quite enjoyed the story! If you like quirky humour with a bit of bite and a wise cracking heroine who doesn’t always make sense, but her side kick makes even less sense – go for it!

Blameless by Gail Carriger

I eagerly awaited this novel – the sequel to Soulless and Changeless – and was not disappointed! Alexia Tarabotti has got herself into quite a fix and it takes a lot of dashing about with derigables, ornithopters and clockwork ladybugs, with a touch of panache and swashbuckling parasols to get her through her latest adventure!

Cry Wolf by Patricia Briggs

I have developed a particular fondness for Patricia Briggs’ werewolves and this book, while not a Mercedes Thompson novel, contains many of the same characters and I loved it!!! So of course I went out and got the next book:

Hunting Ground by Patricia Briggs

Charles and Anna, Alpha and Omega wolves fight for their survival against witches, vampires, other werewolves and of course the Fae!

Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs

Just to make my holidays complete – I found the latest Mercedes Thompson novel (in hard cover)! Love this one too!

Dark Side of the Moon by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Weres, dark hunters and a touch of mythology thrown in for good measure. Enjoyable, but I won’t be rushing out to read more of the series!

Succubus Blues by Richelle Mead

I quite enjoyed this journey to the dark side. Demons, succubus, vampires… the main character is feisty and quick tongued, but I found her a bit annoying after a while.

Midnight’s Daughter by Karen Chance

Fast paced and action packed, the main character is conflicted and deadly. Through in a family which includes Dracula out for revenge after years stuck in a prison and a gorgeous master vampire as a reluctant romantic interest… I enjoyed this book, but found it very stressful to read!

Guilty Pleasures by Laurell K. Hamilton

In a world where the Supreme Court has granted the undead equal rights, Anita Blake hunts down the ghosts ghouls and vampires who break the rules. Lots of blood, gore and politics in this one. Not convinced enough to read another in the series though!

The Dead Travel Fast by Deanna Raybourn

I have to say I enjoyed her Lady Julia Grey books much more, but this romp through the depths of Rumania and the Carpathian mountains, with it’s traditions of vampires and the walking dead, was still very enjoyable!