Tensy Farlow and the Home for Mislaid Children by Jen Storer

This book is one of the novels shortlisted for Australian Children’s Book of the Year – Novel for younger readers by the Children’s Book Council of Australia. I read this book because of that, however I think I would have picked it up anyway, as I had already looked at it in the bookshops.

Several of my Year 4 students also read the book and they seemed much more enarmoured with the book than I was. I really struggled with the first half of the book, but couldn’t really put into words why I found the going so hard. The characters didn’t capture me straight away, even though I love the concept of guardian angels and destiny.

A baby Tensy Farlow is left on the doorstep of the Home for Mislaid Children, but is picked up by mistake by Albie Gribble as part of his usual laundry pick up run. The problem is that we are all born with a guardian angel assigned to watch over us… all that is except Tensy Farlow. When Albie suffers a car accident and she is thrown into the local river (which just happens to be haunted by evil spirits) the powers of evil become aware of her and begin to hunt her down for possession of her soul.

There are a couple of evil characters in this story and they are very well done, however I found the characters for good are harder to believe in. a very interesting read and worth the effort once it gets going!