I am Number Four by Pittacus Lore

I am Number Four

I am Number Four

I am Number Four both book and movie were an interesting experience. I really struggled with the beginning of the book, the in depth details about the Perfection of Lorien – almost too much loving detail about how wonderful and perfect everything was, not just from the ‘child’ John’s  point of view, but also from his guardian Henri. It reminded me very much of the grass always being greener on the other side. There must have been some aspects of Lorien, either the planet, the people or the society which was not so mind numbingly perfect!!!

John Smith is just a name, one in a long line of false names and identities used by Number Four to hide his existence from the evil Mogadorians. However John has now reached adolescence and is coming into his powers and reaching that awkward age where ‘love’ and friendships become major issues – not just saving the world!

The film gave much less background information about Lorien and John’s emerging powers, almost not enough as some critics have observed. Hard to find that middle ground. Once I got past the endless descriptions of the past, and got into the relationships and events of the present, I quite enjoyed the book, although I found John’s assertion that Sarah is the love of his life a bit overdone! But then again – he is a teenager, and everything is life or death to a teenager!